Built under license from the BBC the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V2 represents the first design collaboration with Derek Hughes. The LS3/5a V2 combines custom versions of modern high quality drive units with a high quality crossover, all housed in thin wall (9mm) damped construction birch plywood cabinets with screw-on removable front and rear panels which are fitted with double layers of bituminous pads.
The standard cabinet for production versions of the LS3/5a utilised a cabinet with 12mm walls and a glued rear panel, whereas our V2 cabinets follow the BBC “lossy” cabinet design philosophy and are modelled after the cabinets used on the famous 001/002 pair featured in HiFi News, and which were also used for the prototype pairs built at BBC Research Department at Kingswood Warren.
The legendary sonic character of the original LS3/5a has been retained - capturing the best aspects of both versions of the original LS3/5a version (the faster and more modern sound of the 11 ohm version and the seductive vocal abilities of the 15 ohm version) whilst adding an improved and extended bass response with greater dynamics handling for good measure.
- POWER HANDLING 60w continuous, 110w short term, IEC268
- MAX SOUND LEVEL 100dB, pair @2m
- INPUT IMPEDANCE 11ohm nominal
- INPUT CONNECTIONS Bi-wire, 4mm terminals plugs
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE 75Hz to 18kHz +/-3dB (on HF axis @1m)
- CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 3 kHz
- SENSITIVITY 83dB/1watt/1m
- CABINET DESIGN Two-way infinite baffle (sealed box)
- DIMENSIONS (W x D x H) 188mm x 168mm x 302mm
- WEIGHT 4.4 kg each (shipping weight 11.8kg - pair)