The new Stirling Broadcast LS3/5A V3. Taking the LS3/5A to a new level.
It started as a personal project for Doug Stirling. He wanted the very best pair of LS3/5As that could be made. So he challenged Derek Hughes to draw upon his decades of experience as a loudspeaker designer to look again at the design. Just like the Blue Skies work done at BBC Kingswood Warren back in the 1970s, cost was not to be a consideration. But they had to be LS3/5As which not just met, but significantly bettered, the BBC specification.
Derek started with the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5A V2. The V2 is a proven design which is licenced by the BBC and has received excellent reviews. Derek had full confidence in the drive units & thin-wall plywood cabinet and didn’t believe they could currently be bettered. So he focussed his years of experience in loudspeaker design on the crossover. In came closely matched air-cored inductors to remove the saturation experienced with ferrite or iron cores. Cost was, after all, not an object. Finally Derek moved the crossover away from the vibrations associated with mounting the crossover on the front baffle.
The result is the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5A V3. Everyone who heard them told Doug he couldn’t keep them to himself. We think the V3 is something very special indeed. But don’t take our word for it, have a listen and decide for yourself.
- POWER HANDLING 60w continuous, 110w short term, IEC268
- DRIVE UNIT - BASS/MIDRANGE Stirling SB4428
- DRIVE UNIT - TWEETER Stirling SB4429
- CABINET Two-way sealed box - internally damped panels
- CONSTRUCTION classic BBC thin-wall (9mm) birch plywood
- INPUT CONNECTIONS Bi-wire, 4mm terminals plugs
- INPUT IMPEDANCE 11ohm nominal
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE 75Hz to 18kHz +/-3dB (on HF axis @1m)
- MAX SOUND LEVEL 100dB, pair @2m
- CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 3 kHz
- SENSITIVITY 83dB/1watt/1m
- DIMENSIONS (W x D x H) 188mm x 168mm x 302mm
- WEIGHT 5.3 kg each (shipping weight 12.8kg - pair)
- SHIPPING CARTON SIZES (W x D x H) 480mm x 460mm x 330mm