Stirling Broadcast SB-88 LoudspeakersStirling Broadcast
Inspired by the success of our BBC LS3/6, the Stirling Broadcast SB-88 is a two-way loudspeaker designed by Derek Hughes. It draws on his decades of experience in reference quality loudspeaker design which began with his work for the BBC in the 1970s. Derek’s design has retained the essential character of the LS3/6 by using the same low and high frequency custom drive units and a special high quality crossover.
The SB-88 cabinets use the same thin wall 9mm birch plywood as used in our acclaimed LS3/6 and LS3/5a V2 loudspeakers. Double thickness rubber pads dampen cabinet wall resonances and acoustic foam controls internal standing waves.
The result is a low colouration yet dynamic and involving loudspeaker which exhibits excellent stereo imaging and a wonderful fluid vocal quality. Sitting perfectly between our LS3/5A V2 and the LS3/6, the SB-88 is ideal for applications where the LS3/6 is too large. It sounds extremely similar to the LS3/6, giving just little away to its larger brother in the bass and extreme high frequency areas.
Although designed with the domestic user in mind, the SB-88 has also found favour with professionals.
- POWER HANDLING 90w continuous, 150w short term, IEC268
- CABINET 2-Way Reflex loaded
- CONSTRUCTION classic BBC thin-wall (9mm) birch plywood
- INPUT CONNECTIONS Bi-wire, 4mm terminals plugs
- INPUT IMPEDANCE 8ohm nominal
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE 48Hz to 18kHz +/-3dB (on HF axis @1m)
- MAX SOUND LEVEL 107dB, pair @2m
- CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 3 kHz
- SENSITIVITY 87dB/1watt/1m
- DIMENSIONS (W x D x H) 270mm x 300mm x 500mm
- WEIGHT 14.4 kg each (shipping weight 22kg each)